Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia
- 1993 – Degree in Geological Sciences at the University of Catania (110/110)
- 1995/96 – CNR fellowship at the Department of Physics, Geophysics and Environmental Physics, University of Messina
- 1997/2000 – PhD at the Department of Geological Sciences, University of Catania
- 2000 – Specialization Course: “Field Studies in Volcanology”, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, University of New Mexico (USA)
- 2001/03 – Post-Doctoral fellowship at the Department of Geological Sciences, University of Catania
- 2004/05 – Research fellowship at Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (INGV), Sezione di Catania
- 01/12/2005 – Researcher, scientific area: Volcanology, at INGV, Sezione di Catania
- 01/01/2008 – Senior Researcher, scientific area: Volcanology, at INGV, Sezione di Catania
- 09/01/2017 – Manager of Volcanological Monitoring of INGV, Sezione di Catania
- 01/10/2019 – Director of INGV-Sezione di Catania
His research is focused on geological and stratigraphic investigations of Etna, Vulcano and Stromboli volcanoes and on the reconstruction of historical and prehistorical eruptive activity of Etna. He also deals with the monitoring of active Sicilians volcanoes. The research includes also geology and geomorphology of volcanic areas, volcano stratigraphy and tephrostratigraphy, volcano instability and the relationship with the sedimentary basement, volcanoes and environmental change, volcano dynamics and regional tectonic, reconstructing historical volcanic eruptions and their impacts on the society.
PUBLICATIONS AND SERVICES
- Branca S., Del Carlo P. (2005) Types of eruptions of Etna Volcano AD 1670-2003: Implications for short-term eruptive behaviour. Bull. Volcanol., 67, 732-742.
- Branca S., Coltelli M., Groppelli G., Lentini F. (2011) Geological map of Etna volcano, 1:50,000 scale. Ital. J. Geosci., 130 (3), 265-291, doi: 10.3301/IJG.2011.15.
- Abate T., Branca S. (2015) ILLUSTRATING AND MAPPING ETNA’S ERUPTIONS. The progress of iconography since the 16th century. Edizioni Caracol, Palermo. ISBN: 978-88-98546-29-9, 111 pp.